Apparently sausage rolls are a UK thing which might explain why they’re one of my Dad’s favourites. Or it could just be that they’re simply delicious. Now that I think about it, sausage rolls were always around and seemed to be our go-to hors d’oeuvre. Sausage meat wrapped in a flaky, buttery puff pastry is the perfect treat that can be enjoyed anytime. They’re quite easy to make and so much tastier than frozen ones that you’ll never think about store-bought rolls again.
The flavour combinations are pretty much endless. Just choose any kind of ground meat and add herbs and spices. Or if you’re pressed for time or feeling a tad lazy you can always take your favourite sausage and just remove the casing. To make life even easier I tend to use frozen puff pastry. But by all means make your own if you’re up for it.
Here I’ve chosen to make simple pork sausage rolls with sautéed onions and garlic, and some fresh parsley. But what really makes these little bites even more delicious is mustard and Gruyere cheese. It doesn’t get much better than that.
- 750g ground pork
- 1 package of frozen puff pastry
- 3 gloves of garlic, minched
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup Gruyere cheese, cut into small pieces
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Your favourite mustard
- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Heat olive oil and sauté onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Let cool.
- Add onions, garlic, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and one egg to the ground pork. Mix well.
- Roll out puff pastry into a thin square. Starting at one end, brush a 2" wide layer of mustard along the length of the pastry.
- Place pork mixture on top of the mustard. Add pieces of cheese on top of the pork.
- Fold the pastry and pork mixture over and press gently to seal. Cut the full length sausage roll from the rest of the puff pastry and set aside. Repeat with remaining pork and pastry.
- Place the full length sausage rolls into the freezer for 20 min to set. This will make cutting them into small pieces easier.
- Remove from freezer and brush egg wash on top of each roll. Cut into 1" pieces.
- Bake on a greased pan at 425ºF for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Sausage rolls can be made ahead of time. Simply freeze and cook from frozen at 425ºF for 20 minutes.