After a long and very busy week, becoming a full-time couch potato was sounding pretty great last night. For a very brief moment cooking was the last thing I wanted to do. Shocking right? Jeff and I thought about ordering-in (something we rarely do), but we’re both so indecisive that even picking a cuisine was too big of a challenge. Chinese food was on Jeff’s mind, while I wanted a classic burger and fries (another rarity). But like I said, my feelings of having a cook-free night were very brief. Maybe 5 minutes….maybe.
I still wanted that burger and fries though. Unfortunately a few key things were missing – burger buns and fries. Whoopsies. BUT, we did have egg roll wrappers (also something we rarely just have in our fridge). So….cheeseburger egg roll anyone? Deliciously seasoned beef, caramelized onions, bacon, and gooey blue cheese, were all fried in an egg roll. It was truly the best of both worlds. I had my burger and something-fried fix, while Jeff had something very slightly related to Chinese food. I definitely won though.
And that my friends, was how the Bacon Blue Cheeseburger Egg Roll was born!
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 cup sliced red onions
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Olive oil
- Water to help shape the egg rolls
- 450g lean ground beef
- ¼ tsp each of salt, ground pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder
- ¼ tsp each of Montreal Steak Spice and Italiano seasoning
- 1.5 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the beef. Set aside.
- Cook bacon over medium heat. Remove from pan and drain off excess fat.
- Heat some olive oil and sauté onions until lightly browned. Remove onions from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the ground beef and drain off excess fat. Chop bacon into small pieces and add back to the beef along with the cooked onions.
- Lay one egg roll wrapper in front you so it is in a diamond shape.
- Put about 1 tbsp of the beef mixture near the centre of the diamond, but slightly closer to the corner nearest you. Add a few onions and a bit of blue cheese on top of the beef.
- Line the outside edges of the wrapper with water. Fold the bottom corner nearest you over the filling. Gently press and seal around the filling. Fold the right and left corners of the wrapper towards the middle. Roll the wrapper forward ensuring that the filling is firm and fully sealed inside.
- Add olive oil to a pan ensuring that you have enough oil to cover at least half of the egg roll. The amount will depend on the size of your pan. Heat the oil to between 320°F and 340°F. Cook each roll for about 45 seconds, flipping half way, or until golden brown. Drain excess oil on paper towel.
- Serve immediately with your favourite condiment. Sriracha, ketchup, mustard, and sweet chili Thai sauce all work great.